It is a free app, aimed at profiles with no programming experience, that covers the basics of programming.
Grasshopper is one of the latest creations from Google’s experimental product workshop, Area 120 which is part of Google Inc. It is an incubator where Google workers launch dozens of new ideas, which then (those that prosper) are opened to the public in their beta versions. Grasshopper was released in April of last year.
The name Grasshopper honors Grace Hopper, one of the early pioneers in computer programming.
- The basics : how the code works, functions, variables, strings, for loops, arrays, conditionals, operators, objects and how all these elements interact with each other.
- Animations I : draw shapes using the popular 3D library , defining functions, callbacks and animations.
- Animations II – Creating more complex features with 3D and The Fundamentals course topics .
2. What should I do after using Grasshopper?
If you’ve enjoyed Grasshopper and want to take your coding skills to the next level, the team has identified several options where you can continue your coding journey:
- Keep taking classes online: – We’ve partnered with Coursera , a company that works with top universities to offer online courses. Here are some of the classes they offer that could be the perfect next step after completing The Fundamentals:
* Algorithms, Part 1
* Web Design Specialization + Portfolio and Certificate
- Go to a bootcamp – For US-based students in Seattle, St. Louis, Kansas City, Miami, or Tampa, we’ve also partnered with LaunchCode , a non-profit organization, to offer free coding bootcamps to a select number of students.
You can sign up here .
Also, if you’re interested in a technology-based career, consider enrolling in the Google+ Coursera IT Support Professional Certification program .
3. How can I get the app?
- App Store : Grasshopper: Learn to Code . The coding app for beginners.
- Google Play : Grasshopper: Learn to Code for Free .
4. What should I do if I want to delete my Grasshopper account?
Send an email to [email protected] and the support team will help you delete your account.